Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup

 Soup is hands down my best food friend. I am able to just create a new experience every time, and it is with such ease. Soup is great for a large group, a sad day, the rain, sick day, happy day, something to hold, something to experiment, and something that love you back. Saying that, I need soup today. 

 Last week I got all four of my wisdom teeth removed so silly to say I can only eat liquid. But its okay because like I said, I love soup. Another reason to make soup today is my lovely kidneys are needing some love. Some serious medicines are involve with minor surgery and I am a weakling when were talking about meds. Looking for a good cleanse and a good meal I searched to find a great idea to solve both. Researching online about food ingredients that will detox or cleanse my kidneys and other organs was very interesting. On one hand the suggested fruits and vegetables are almost overwhelming. 

A website www.youngandraw.com suggested watermelon, lime juice, carrots, cucumbers  radish, cabbage, and celery where a similar website suggested cranberry, beets, whole grains, pineapple, leafy greens, and kiwi. It seems like too many options! On the other hand webmd.com says "If your goal is to detox your system, don't waste your time or money. Your body is an expert...just limit processed, high-fat, and sugary foods, and replace with more fruits and vegetables". Hmmm. With the result in hand I decided to gain all of the profit and a really good meal. Including 95% organic ingredients and all home made (except for the vegetable broth) I think my kidneys are gonna feel just fine after the meal. 

Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup






Prep: 10 mins      Cook: 45 mins     4-6 servings

Ingredients: 
4 peeled, chopped sweet potatoes
1 chopped onion 
3 garlic clovers, peeled 
4 chopped carrots
1/4 cup sliced fresh ginger
1 cup red lentils
1/2 tbs curry powder
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk, light
salt and pepper
EVOO
2 squeezed lime juice
chopped fresh cilantro 








1. Heat the oven to 350. Using a large baking sheet, combine the sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, carrots and top it with a sprinkle of salt and olive oil. Bake for 40-50 minutes.

2. While the veggies are in the oven, get a medium size sauce pan. Heat the pan and add a nice drizzle of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cup of lentils. Sauté for 1 minute and then add the curry powder while whisking  Add the vegetable broth and cook to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes then turn off the heat. 

3. Combine the potato and veggie mix in a food processor or a blender with the broth, coconut milk, and lime juice. Be carful with the heat and the blender. Slowly pulse the warm ingredients so it doesn't explode! Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

4. Serve the soup warm with fresh cilantro and enjoy!!!





Until next time!! Alex :)

recipe from sweetpeasandsaffron.com

Comments

Popular Posts